Followers

Sunday 24 February 2013

Catching up part two

Well with this post I will be fully up to date with my blog.
Last year I put together a quilt top using fabrics I dyed using a colour exchange technique at a masterclass I attended at the Festival of Quilts last year. I used the cutting Plan in Barbara Chainey's book, Fast quilts from fat quarters and also based it on one of the designs in that book although I adapted it a little. One of the big advantages of the dyeing technique used is that you end up with a selection of fabrics that all work together as the two main colours are used together in various different combinations of dye strength giving the various shades.

This week I finally managed to get it quilted and on a cold February afternoon it was quite cosy to sit with it over my lap while I hemmed down the binding. So it's finished but so far it is in need of a name - the things it brings to my mind are mosaics or old tiled floors and it also reminds me of Klimt with the patterns and the swirls of the quilting.

The finished quilt is about 36 x 44 inches.




Journal quilt for March
Getting ahead of myself but it was a case of getting the idea and wanting to try it out. 

The verse is
March brings breezes loud and shrill, stirs the dancing daffodil

I have tried out a very different, for me, approach to this - I looked at various images and decided to to make the background by using my embellisher machine to apply a selection of fibres - wool and silk tops and embroidery threads to create this - it gives quite a painterly effect and i want to add detail and texture with embroidery.





 This is a close up of part of the background showing the contrast in texture from the use of different fibres.

This is the foot - the fingerguard is important as the needles (5 in this machine) are not only sharp but barbed in order to interlock the fibres and needle felt them together.

Before and after shots , the first shows the fibres after they have been placed on the background and the second how they look after needle felting
The completed background.

No comments:

Post a Comment