Followers

Thursday 21 February 2013

Catch up number 1

Well it has been a long time since I last posted but my excuse is that I have been very busy so will now catch up in a few posts.
I was very busy in the run up to Christmas firstly with two local Craft Fairs - when I said "yes" to the first of these I had not really thought through the fact that this meant I had to get busy making things to sell! It was a real learning curve for me - making several versions of the same things, pricing, display etc as well as just approaching the fairs with the approach that what I made was worth buying! I made a variety of items - some Christmas themed as well as more general "gift" items. All in all I took £50 at the first (on a very wet December day and with a poorly placed staff and £110 on the second  - but also got some really positive feedback and ideas of what things sell, what price points attract people and also how to sell. It was interesting to see the make up of people buying things as well - some (mainly older) wanting to get something unique and handmade but also for younger people (20-30) who saw buying gifts in this way as a way of supporting the local economy and as "action" against the big retailers e.g. Amazon.

I will definitely do this again and have a better idea now of what to sell. Here are photos of some of the things I made.
These sold much better at one fair than the other - next time I will put suitable Tea-lights inside

 Very popular - and quick to make. Next time I will use a wider variety of fabrics and put lavender in some.

 These sold well - I put candy canes in the small ones and they were popular for tree decorations and also for giving money gifts.
 A couple of the cushions I made
 Hand-dyed silk scarves - these did not sell well - maybe it was the time of year - too light and floaty?
A quick to make and fun item

No comments:

Post a Comment