Followers

Sunday 6 May 2012

Baptism, birds and bank holiday

Well I have finished the first of the bank holiday tasks I set myself which was to work on the design for the Baptism stole my sister has commissioned. I had spent a long time trying out different ideas, googling images for Baptism symbols before realising that I was in danger of over complicating it and that my sister had given me my starting point when she talked about watery shades of blue.
My first idea was to use a technique I used a few years ago when I made a purple stole for a relative's ordination present. Shades of blue fabric, cut into random and variable width strips and layered up using a rough edge technique before stitching in vertical lines with a metallic thread.

I still wasn't happy and then remembered the technique I learnt a month or two ago using layer organza and which I used to make this picture.

I felt this would work very well as I love the way you can layer up and then stitch back the organza to reveal different shades and that I could achieve the shades and movement of water using this technique. I think what also prompted me to pursue this idea was that this time I was designing for a Woman Priest and so I felt that organza would also produce something more delicate.

As I was going to use organza I decided that instead of using paints or coloured pencils to work out my ideas I would use a tissue paper collage to explore they way the layers of colour work with and change each other.

I then added small seed and bugle beads in blues, greens and silver to add texture and also to suggest light sparkling on the water. - Though this has not photographed quite as well.


In the actual design the beads at the bottom are darker and well scattered and they gradually get lighter through to silvery seed beads at the top which are also closer together.

I now just need to see if my sister is happy and then work out my shopping list/costs.

As for birds well I made 4 sets of small fabric birds in jubilee themed fabrics and sold them all at school on Friday for £5.00 and I have requests for more as well as for a cushion in the same fabrics so I need to get busy on some more to take in next week.

Well at least I have plenty to keep me busy indoors as with the weather as it is I don't think I'll be out gardening tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome! I am finally getting around to welcoming New quilters to the NEW Quilt Blog Linky Party! Welcome!
    When you get a chance please add the NEW Quilt Blog Button so others can find it!
    Where is your follow button? So I can follow you.
    Reply to me and I'll come back and follow you!
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marcia
    Well that was a Friday night problem - work out how to put on a follow button - I think I've managed it at the top - let me know if it's right and if it works - as you can tell I'm new to all this and IT isn't really my strong point. What is the NEW quilt blog button?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got your email... but I can't reply to you because you are a no reply blogger -- which means you have to go into your settings and change this. I share this link in my side bar to another blog that explains how to change your settings here:
    http://www.pleasant-home.com/2010/12/so-exciting-less-no-reply-bloggers.html
    This link is also on my sidebar and easy to click on and hop over and read it and make the changes so when you leave a comment on a blog they can reply to you via your email and you can reply back via your email.

    If you would like to start with by emailing me directly at Marcia@craftysewing.com and we can email back and forth and I can help you with the button for the NEW Quilt Blog Linky Party to add to your side bar.

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete